Skip to main content
Questions? Let's Connect.
Apply Now Get More Info

KU School of Education and Human Sciences Admissions FAQs


What are the transcript requirements for admission?

Please upload copies of transcripts to the application. If you are offered admission, you will then be required to provide official transcripts prior to the second semester of enrollment.

Where should I send my transcripts?

Official transcripts should be mailed directly from the degree-granting institution via the U.S Postal Service to:

University of Kansas Graduate Admissions
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
313 Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045

Do you accept secure electronic transcript delivery service sent directly from the issuing institution?

Yes. Please have secure electronic transcript delivery service sent directly from the issuing university to

Can I scan and submit a physical transcript document? If so, what email address should I use?

Copies of official transcripts can be scanned and submitted during the application process for initial review. Documents uploaded with your application are not considered official. KU does not consider copies of transcripts that come from applicants or that have been in the applicant's possession as official. Official e-transcripts must be sent from the issuing institution and can be sent to If you’re unsure of how to upload the document, feel free to send it to your admissionsadvisor.

Do I need to obtain copies of all my transcripts, even if I only took one course at an institution?

No. In this case, you only need to submit transcripts from the institution(s) that issued your degree(s) and where any masters-level courses taken should be prioritized.

I do not have a bachelor’s degree from the U.S. What official documents does KU require?

You must follow the same application checklist as U.S. degree holders in the school’s primary language, and it must be translated into English. You can view the admissions checklist for each program here. Graduate Admissions will complete a transcript evaluation for GPA and academic credential verification.

General Admissions Questions

How long does my personal statement need to be?

Your personal statement length depends on which program you are applying to. You can view the admissions checklist for each program here.

When will I be notified of an admission decision?

Most admissions decisions will be posted within 7-10 days of receiving a completed application.

Who should write my letters of recommendation?

Three professional and/or academic letters of recommendation are required from individuals who are well-qualified to judge your character, scholastic achievements and professional abilities. These individuals can be colleagues, immediate supervisors or former professors. If possible, we recommend at least one of the three letters come from an academic person.

For the educational administration master’s program, one of these three letters must come from your current supervisor, and one must come from a previous supervisor. For all other programs, only one of the three letters of recommendation must come from a current or previous supervisor.

Is the application deadline flexible?

The application deadline is firm, but exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis if absolutely necessary.

Can I meet with a program faculty member during the application process?

We manage these requests on a case-by-case basis. Please speak to your Admissions Advisor for more information.

How does KU’s cohort model allow for unplanned breaks in the program? Am I able to take a leave of absence if necessary?

The online program structure allows students more flexibility to take breaks than many on-ground M.S.E. programs, but not every course is offered every semester. This means that taking unplanned breaks can extend your timeline to complete the program. All necessary breaks can be discussed with your Student Success Coordinator, or sometimes even directly with your instructors who may be able to accommodate your request.

Students may take a leave of absence for up to one year and still stay active in the program.

What if I’m a non-native English speaker?

Non-native English speakers must demonstrate proof of English proficiency before gaining admission to a graduate program. More information can be found here.

Online Application Questions

How do I start my online application?

You can begin your online application by clicking here and following the instructions.

What if I forget my password?

Please click “Forgot Password” to reset it.

What if I have problems while completing the application?

If you are having issues with our online application system, please contact your Admissions Advisor.

What if I cannot find my school listed on the application?

If you cannot find your school, attempt a different search, taking into consideration the following:

  • Searching within a city or state will return a list of all schools in that selection
  • Searches of three or fewer characters will only return exact matches
  • If you still cannot find your school after several attempts, click on "none of the above," and enter your school information manually into your application

If you attended a school outside the U.S. or Canada, please follow this link and enter your school name and other information directly into the application.

What if I cannot upload a file?

Ensure that there are no special characters in the file name. Please adhere to the following suggestions when saving your files for upload:

  • Save and upload your file as a Word doc or PDF. This is the best option for getting past the ASCII character options.
  • Avoid using special characters ( ~, #, %, & , *, {, }, \, :, , ?, /, |,) in the file name.
  • Use the icon beside the "Upload File" field to remove existing files. If you cannot remove a file that was uploaded in error, contact your Admissions Advisor for assistance.

If this does not resolve the issue, send the file directly to your Admissions Advisor.

Can I save my application and work on it later?

Yes. You can manually save your application at any point during the online application process and return to it at a later time. You will need your username (email) and password to log back in and complete the application.

What if I need to resend the email reference request to my recommender?

You can send a reminder to any recommender who has not responded to your request. Locate your application dashboard and click on “References”, then click on “Manage your recommendations.” From this screen, you can see the list of your recommenders and choose an action for each. Select "Send Reminder" from the drop-down menu next to the recommender you want to remind.

Schedule Planning

What kind of weekly time commitment does this program require?

Our online graduate programs in education are part-time and generally require only 15-20 hours of work per week, including time spent with lectures, research, case studies and coursework.

Is it possible to complete this program while also working a full-time job?

Yes, our graduate programs are designed specifically with the goals of working professionals in mind. Students can log in, view lectures and assignments, and submit required classwork as their schedules allow.

Approximately how many courses should I expect to complete each year?

You are required to complete two courses during each fall, spring and summer term, for a total of six (6) classes per year.

Important Dates

No Important Dates Currently Scheduled


Coming Soon